Video of this episode
Daniel Piatkowski, is an Associate Professor, in Integrated Land-Use and Transportation Planning and he has been involved with some of the more notable and helpful research studies and articles in the field of active mobility over the past dozen or so years. As you’ll learn in this interview, I know Daniel, and we’ll frequently run into each other at conferences such as the Congress for the New Urbanism (CNU) or Active Living Research (ALR), but I was frankly shocked (and a little jealous) to learn that he was headed to Oslo, so I wanted to learn more about the livability of the area, its safer streets, and the utilitarian bike scene.
I was blown away by what he had to say and I think you will be too.
Helpful Links (note that some may include affiliate links to help me support the channel):
– Prof. Piatkowski’s personal website
– New Master’s Program at OsloMet
– JTLU Article – Rule Following
– Carrots and Sticks article
– Interview w/ Wes Marshall
– CNU – Congress for the New Urbanism
– Streetfilms video on Oslo
My Personal Call To Action:
– Become a Patron! Please consider supporting my efforts via Patreon
– Please check out my new store for some fun Streets Are For People merch
– If you enjoyed this episode please give it a “thumbs up”, leave a comment, and share it with a friend.
– And if you haven’t yet done so, please also subscribe to my YouTube Channel and don’t forget to “Ring” that notifications bell; this lets you know when I post a new video or schedule a premiere.
Resources used during the production of this episode:
– My awesome recording platform is Ecamm
– Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
– Main MIcrophone Sennheiser Pro Audio MKH416-P48U3
– Rode RODECaster Pro Podcast Production Studio
– Additional Microphone – Shure MV7
– Camera – Sony ZV-E10 (currently sold out)
– Lens – Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN Contemporary Lens
– Elgato Cam Link 4k
– Elgato Streamdeck XL*
– Elgato Streamdeck (*you may not need the XL)
Editing Computer System:
– Apple MacBook Pro 16″ 2021 M1 Pro
– LG 34WP88C-B 34-inch Curved 21:9 UltraWide QHD (3440×1440) IPS Display with Ergo Stand
All video, audio, and music production by me, John Simmerman
For more information about my Active Towns effort or to follow along please visit my links below:
– Podcast landing pages
Hi Everyone, my name is John Simmerman.
I’m a health promotion professional with over 30 years of experience and my area of concentration has evolved into a specialization of how the built environment influences human behavior related to active living and especially active mobility.
In 2012 I launched the non-profit Advocates for Healthy Communities as an effort to help promote and create healthy, active places.
Since that time I’ve been exploring, documenting, and profiling established, emerging, and aspiring Active Towns wherever they might be, in order to produce high-quality multimedia content to help inspire the creation of more safe and inviting, environments that promote a “Culture of Activity” for “All Ages & Abilities”.
My Active Towns suite of channels feature my original video and audio content and reflections, including a selection of podcast episodes and short films profiling the positive and inspiring efforts happening around the world as I am able to experience and document them.
Thanks for tuning in, I hope you find this content helpful.
Creative Commons License: Attributions, Non-Commercial, No Derivatives, 2022
Advocates for Healthy Communities, Inc. is a nonprofit 501c3 organization (EIN 45-3802508) dedicated to helping communities create a Culture of Activity. Any donations collected are used specifically to support the organization’s mission.
To make a donation to Advocates for Healthy Communities go here