EPISODE 123, SEASON 3:
In this episode, I connect with
Will Norman, London’s Walking & Cycling Commissioner
We discuss his journey to this role working under Mayor Sadik Kahn’s administration, the challenges and opportunities the city is facing in promoting active travel, and some specifics around several campaigns such as the Low Traffic Neighborhoods, School Streets, and 20 is Plenty
London, England is striving to become a city that promotes and supports walking, cycling, and transit use for the normal utilitarian trips that Londoners take on a daily basis. Will Norman joined Mayor Sadiq Khan’s administration as the city’s first Walking & Cycling Commissioner over five years ago and along with city staff has been working hard to transform the city’s built environment into one that supports active mobility for “All Ages & Abilities”.
Helpful Links (note that some may include affiliate links to help me support the channel):
– London’s Walking & Cycling Website
– Low Traffic Network campaigns
– Healthy Streets
– Nike Designed to Move
My Personal Call To Action:
– Become a Patron! Please consider supporting my efforts via Patreon
– Please check out my new store for some fun Streets Are For People merch
– If you enjoyed this episode please give it a “thumbs up”, leave a comment, and share it with a friend.
– And if you haven’t yet done so, please also subscribe to my YouTube Channel and don’t forget to “Ring” that notifications bell; this lets you know when I post a new video or schedule a premiere.
Resources used during the production of this episode:
– My awesome recording platform is Ecamm
– Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
– Main MIcrophone Sennheiser Pro Audio MKH416-P48U3
– Rode RODECaster Pro Podcast Production Studio
– Additional Microphone – Shure MV7
– Camera – Sony ZV-E10 (currently sold out)
– Lens – Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN Contemporary Lens
– Elgato Cam Link 4k
– Elgato Streamdeck XL*
– Elgato Streamdeck (*you may not need the XL)
Editing Computer System:
– Apple MacBook Pro 16″ 2021 M1 Pro
– LG 34WP88C-B 34-inch Curved 21:9 UltraWide QHD (3440×1440) IPS Display with Ergo Stand
All video, audio, and music production by me, John Simmerman
For more information about my Active Towns effort or to follow along please visit my links below:
– Podcast landing pages
Hi Everyone, my name is John Simmerman.
I’m a health promotion professional with over 30 years of experience and my area of concentration has evolved into a specialization of how the built environment influences human behavior related to active living and especially active mobility.
In 2012 I launched the non-profit Advocates for Healthy Communities as an effort to help promote and create healthy, active places.
Since that time I’ve been exploring, documenting, and profiling established, emerging, and aspiring Active Towns wherever they might be, in order to produce high-quality multimedia content to help inspire the creation of more safe and inviting, environments that promote a “Culture of Activity” for “All Ages & Abilities”.
My Active Towns suite of channels feature my original video and audio content and reflections, including a selection of podcast episodes and short films profiling the positive and inspiring efforts happening around the world as I am able to experience and document them.
Thanks for tuning in, I hope you find this content helpful.
Creative Commons License: Attributions, Non-Commercial, No Derivatives, 2022
Advocates for Healthy Communities, Inc. is a nonprofit 501c3 organization (EIN 45-3802508) dedicated to helping communities create a Culture of Activity. Any donations collected are used specifically to support the organization’s mission.
To make a donation to Advocates for Healthy Communities go here