EPISODE 132, SEASON 3:
In this episode, I connect with
George Liu, a doctoral candidate and Dutch cycling expert living on Vancouver Island also known as the face of the Urban Cycling Institute’s YouTube Channel
We discuss the status of his Ph.D., his starting a new bike retail business on Vancouver Island, helping lead a Dutch cycling summer school program, as well as the Designing the new Cycling City – The Master Class in September, and his work on the YouTube videos for the Urban Cycling Institute
Wrapping up a Ph.D., starting a new bike company, helping lead a Dutch cycling summer school program, as well as the Designing the Cycling City – The Master Class, all while also churning out YouTube videos for the Urban Cycling Institute, yeah George Liu is one busy cycling expert and I am honored that he paused for a moment to chat with me on the Podcast.
Helpful Links (note that some may include affiliate links to help me support the channel):
– Urban Cycling Institute website
– Urban Cycling Institute YouTube channel
– Flex Bike
– Zygg e-Bike Subscription Service
– September Master Class
– My interview with Todd Litman
– My Victoria, BC Bike Tour video
Four Easy Steps to Support My Efforts:
1. Become an Active Towns Ambassador by pledging as little as $1 per month on Patreon
(As a thank you will have early and commercial-free access as well as bonus content and special discounts in the Active Towns Store)
2. If you enjoyed this episode please give it a “thumbs up”, leave a comment, and share it with a friend.
3. Subscribe to the podcast on your preferred platform and on the Active Towns YouTube Channel
4. Pick up some Active Towns #StreetsAreForPeople Merch at my store
(note: See no. 1 for access to special discounts in the store)
All video and audio production by John Simmerman
– Intro and Outro mixed by John Simmerman
– Video Clip background music licensed through https://www.musicbed.com/
Resources used during the production of this episode:
– My awesome recording platform is Ecamm
– Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
– Main MIcrophone Sennheiser Pro Audio MKH416-P48U3
– Rode RODECaster Pro Podcast Production Studio
– Additional Microphone – Shure MV7
– Camera – Sony ZV-E10 (currently sold out)
– Lens – Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN Contemporary Lens
– Elgato Cam Link 4k
– Elgato Streamdeck XL*
– Elgato Streamdeck (*you may not need the XL)
Editing Computer System:
– Apple MacBook Pro 16″ 2021 M1 Pro
– LG 34WP88C-B 34-inch Curved 21:9 UltraWide QHD (3440×1440) IPS Display with Ergo Stand
All video, audio, and music production by me, John Simmerman
For more information about my Active Towns effort or to follow along please visit my links below:
– Podcast landing pages
Hi Everyone, my name is John Simmerman.
I’m a health promotion professional with over 30 years of experience and my area of concentration has evolved into a specialization of how the built environment influences human behavior related to active living and especially active mobility.
In 2012 I launched the non-profit Advocates for Healthy Communities as an effort to help promote and create healthy, active places.
Since that time I’ve been exploring, documenting, and profiling established, emerging, and aspiring Active Towns wherever they might be, in order to produce high-quality multimedia content to help inspire the creation of more safe and inviting, environments that promote a “Culture of Activity” for “All Ages & Abilities”.
My Active Towns suite of channels feature my original video and audio content and reflections, including a selection of podcast episodes and short films profiling the positive and inspiring efforts happening around the world as I am able to experience and document them.
Thanks for tuning in, I hope you find this content helpful.
Creative Commons License: Attributions, Non-Commercial, No Derivatives, 2022
Advocates for Healthy Communities, Inc. is a nonprofit 501c3 organization (EIN 45-3802508) dedicated to helping communities create a Culture of Activity. Any donations collected are used specifically to support the organization’s mission.
To make a donation to Advocates for Healthy Communities go here